1.03.2008

tractor pulls.

So the Iowa caucus is upon us. The day we small citizens finally get a closer glimpse at the angle journalists will take in the next 11 months of news coverage. But isn't it just a bit absurd that this event is treated with such importance? I mean, we have 50 states, but one tiny little one has the ability to sway the outlook on the rest of the election? Is that really democracy? Or just a way to streamline an otherwise too-democratic process? And all of this brought to you by a small state in the midwest I have never visited and know very little about. That is not to say I don't respect Iowa. Au contraire, I used to be friends with a few Iowans who I loved. I just think it's a bit absurd that my friends over there have louder voices than I do just because of the date of their primary.

No comments: