1.18.2008

comics and film and art and the mentor.

I was watching A Wedding Story on TLC this morning, and I almost started crying. That is how I know that I am unstable.

My many fates are crashing down on me. I don't believe in God, but I do believe that there are symbols in our lives - certain people and places, certain topics of conversation and life paths, if that makes sense - that are somehow mapped out for us. And I don't mean by a higher power even. Just by a random mathematical equation of compatibility and luck. I believe that we are fated to be with certain people, fated to hold a certain position in our lives. But it's also true that we make our own independent decisions and that we can choose to ignore these odds that build up against us. The only problem with this philosophy is that I can only see whether or not I have followed my fate if it turns out good in the end. And it's hard to see that when you're sitting right there in the middle.

No comments: