4.03.2008

here's to ireland.

Weak economy this. Weak economy that. I am so glad that I will be graduating into an America with a weak economy. It means my bachelor's degree will really take me places, you know?

I've been thinking about my passions lately. And I think what I want most out of life is to live what Robert Bolano makes fun of in The Savage Detectives. I want a small apartment and tea in the morning and afternoon and long discussions on love and literature. It's all cliche and makes me believe that my life is a narrative defined by a few select novels and television shows and films. So I come full circle. I don't want it anymore because I know it's what I'm supposed to want.

Also, my professor cited an interesting study today. I hate that class, but it's still interesting. Couples rate their satisfaction with life higher after having children. But they rate their happiness higher before. What is the difference between satisfaction and happiness? Is there any? How can they be so separated from each other? I can definitely see why. It's hard to be satisfied with your life when you constantly have family members, friends, and the media telling you you're living it wrong. But once you've satisfied others' expectations, where do you go? Where do you fit into your own life plans? Or are you just living to tell people that you're satisfied? You're married. You have two kids. You have a new kitten and you only eat organic and ride your bike to work. Your life must mean something.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like your interpretation of that fact! Very on point, in my opinion. Congrats on your internship. I'm leaving for Ireland on the 29th. Send any last minute advice my way. :)

-Katie

siege said...

I could make a whole list here. I'd rather send you a Facebook message.

Buffy said...

Not wanting it because you know it's what you're suppose to want isn't all that different from wanting it because you know it's what you're suppose to want.

(That makes sense if you read it backward.)

Two years into my postgraduate degree, someone broke it down really simply for me.

"Would you do it for free? If you never earned a penny. Would you still do it?"

Life's too short to waste it on something you don't love. And unfulfilled passions just leave a big chip on your shoulder.