3.28.2008

waiting for pancakes and morning kisses.

In commemoration of my summer internship with HarperCollins, I present to you a fabulous quote about literature from Roberto Bolano's The Savage Detectives (okay, it's published by FSG, but I still love it). This book borders on brilliant, but is also easily digestable, sexy, and down-to-earth.

"Sometimes, when I've had too much to drink, I find myself cursing him, him and all those literary types who've forgotten me, and the hired killers waiting for me in the dark, and even the typesetters, lost in glory or anonymity, but then I relax and I can't stop laughing. You have to live your life, that's all there is to it. A drunk I met the other day on my way out of the bar La Mala Senda told me so. Literature is crap."

And another quote, about those moments of clarity, like when you realize that you moved on because you had to and it was all for the best and that those innocent feelings were just that.

"And the boys were in the front room, sitting there waiting for me, and one of them had bought two bottles of tequila. Ah, what a relief to come into the light, even when it's a shadowy half-light, what a relief to come where it's clear."

No comments: