4.22.2009

filling in the blanks.

I only have seven more weeks left in Los Angeles, so I have decided to make every day count. That means being at my apartment as little as humanly possible, thus the non-attendance to the blog. I apologize for that.

Middle America was astounding. I feel so lucky to have done what I did and have seen what I saw. Runza's and throwing up along I-80 and presenting my thesis and spending the night in Chicago with some awesome people. Even though there were ups and downs, I was always enjoying myself (minus the vomiting part, but I think I kept that to myself pretty well). I learned several important lessons about road trips while out for six days. The first is: fucking relax already. Even if you're uncomfortable, even if you have no interest in the city you have stopped in to get gas, even if you think you don't have enough time to see it all. Just relax and do what you can. I also had epiphanies about other things that I will keep to myself.

Since I have been home, I have gotten much of my work done (there was a lot to do, there continues to be a lot to do), but I have also gone running every morning, renewed my veganism for an indefinite period of time, went out to a crazy weird electro dance club last night, had margaritas with Amber (probably the highlight of the week so far :) ), gone to meetings, spent time with new and old friends, celebrated the holiday on the 20th with a swimming pool and a BBQ and bad television, and have felt extremely contented. Rebecca's been at Nick's practically the whole week, so I don't have to feel guilty stumbling in really late and waking up at 6AM to do my run warm-up in the bedroom.

My mother has asked that I move home so I can take care of the cats over the summer. I suppose if I have no other back up plan (I don't, this whole Ireland thing is at a standstill), I can always be an effing cat sitter. I think my eventual plan is to work in the city for a while and save up money to move into an apartment with some strangers. I have met a few people in the city in the recent past, and I think I might be able to resign myself to that kind of middle-of-the-road plan for a few months. Besides, I sure as hell don't want to be in Los Angeles when it's this hot outside. I feel like I'm melting. I have lily white skin and I'd like to keep it that way, thank you, Los Angeles!

Ugh. I'm in the midst of a bloggy-blog entry. I hate reading these, so I avoid writing them. It's so self-indulgent.

But now I feel indulged, and I can sleep. With this photograph of Texas, I leave.

No comments: