2.20.2008

brie and crackers.

My car decided to break down today. So that was fun. My day thus included a hilarious ride with a tow truck driver who offered me gum ("Dirty mouth, clean it up." - Jerry the tow truck driver) and talked to me about Dr. Suess, a conversation with my German car dealer, a long shuttle ride back to Westwood, and then an Old English quiz. I am still shaking a bit from how scary the whole situation was, but I think I handled it pretty well.

The whole thing makes me feel so old - just thinking that I can get myself through situations like that unscathed. Lately, I have felt very old, in the good way. I feel independent and free. I also decided that I am a good person. No matter how many times someone tells me that I am not, I don't have to believe it. We are not our pasts. The whole point of time passing, in my opinion, is evolution. Sometimes certain people take you back to your past when you're really much better off leaving it alone. Now that I am free to move forward, I am beginning to see all the good in myself. Childish notions fade, idealizations wane, and what is left? A little cynicism and a little realism, a few pastoral notions mixed in with compassion and care for others. Things I thought I had lost. I am happy to say that I have found them again.

No comments: