2.17.2008

boyz in the hood.

This will read more like a day summary than anything else, but I left my journal in Los Angeles and I don't want to forget this.

All of the nights I've spent in Berkeley have been a success. Last night was no exception. Marie and I drove home all day yesterday and I finally got home and took a nap, completely exhausted. When I woke up, I drove to San Mateo to pick up Evan from work and then Evan picked up me, Marie, Ryan, and Akira and we drove to the city to get BBQ on the Haight. We were supposed to swing by and pick up Jen and Saleh, but Market street is a huge left-turning nightmare, so we just met up with them at the restaurant. They were already buzzed by the time they made it to us. How I adore my friends. Seven of us fit into Evan's tiny car and I tried to eat my ribs with Marie sitting on my lap. It was a huge, delicious, meaty mess. We all sung along to terrible songs on the radio.

I got that feeling I get whenever I come home. The lights of the city blinking and sparkling as we cross the Bay Bridge. All of my friends together again, bonding over the stupidest, smallest things: Traffic, barbecue sauce, Greg Lee, new stories of adventure.

As we pulled onto Saleh's street, we saw Charley's car park in the driveway. We all jumped out and hugged, all the obligatory oh-i-haven't-seen-you-in-so-long stuff. We met two of Charley's friends from Davis, who were cool. Toasts were had, circles were formed, pie was eaten. We all trekked down the street to a frat party and we danced and made fun of everyone who wasn't dancing. Somehow, Charley, his friends, and I got separated from everyone and we ended up at the Berkeley branch of their fraternity. Charley told me to act like I didn't have any opinions for just a few minutes so we could get in without any problems. Interestingly, this worked.

Charley and I then got separated from his friends. One of them ended up going home with some random girl. He called later and I had to instruct him on how to get back to us (long story). We found the other one as we stepped outside and saw Marie staring up at us from the porch. I'm still not sure how she got there, but it was hilarious.

We headed back to Saleh's. Someone made a passing joke that we should go swimming. Unfortunately, I didn't think this was a joke. We all convinced each other it would be a great idea and we headed out. Jen and I were the first ones in the freezing cold water. Huuuuuge mistake. Huge. Evan, etc. all jumped in afterwards. We all walked back through the cold night air. Charley and I somehow fell down. I have the bruises to prove it. But even after we made it all the way back to Saleh's, we had to turn around and go back to the pool because Charley left his cell phone there. This is when we found his other friend roaming around the streets by himself.

Anyway, long story short (a little late for that though, isn't it?), last night was a success. Even though I slept on the floor without a pillow or a blanket and I shivered myself to sleep, we all had an amazing time. Every time I come home, it makes me reanalyze everything I thought I knew. Because, really, even though I think I'm happy, there is no time when I am happier than when I am with all of my friends. However, I would like to say that there is a certain something I miss about L.A. Usually, I can just forget that life so easily even when I come home for a day or two, but last night I realized that I have found something really worthwhile.

No comments: