11.19.2007

view from an open window.

I am currently sitting in my office at my internship. My boss has left to have a meeting with Sony about selling the film rights to one book or another. Before she left, she let me know that she may not be back before I leave, and she wished me a wonderful holiday weekend. Then she offered me whatever books I wanted to give to my parents as holiday gifts. I looked around on the bookshelf.

"I bet my mom would want to read the O.J. book... Just to see what it's like," I said.

Then she turned to me and said, "You really think she'd want to read that?"

I couldn't help but laugh. My boss has this book sitting on her shelf of accomplishments and yet she stares at me in disbelief when I show an interest in the most controversial one sitting there. It's a shame - a hilarious and twisted shame - when the people selling the books don't even believe they're worth the time it takes to read them.

No comments: