10.08.2008

just say no to graduate school.

I know I had my heart set on Ireland. I know I wanted green hills and salty air and Norman architecture.

But I think I may teach English in Greece instead. I could learn Greek, learn to like kids, make money, and meet a charming guy distantly related to Alexander the Great... or something.

I'm also applying for a year-long teacher assistant program in Japan, where I could do all of the above except with Japanese and the charming guy would be related to legendary samurai warriors... or something else.

I'd spend my days on islands steeped in history and delicious foods. I'd stop being vegan. Life would be so simple and easy.

Then after all of that is done, I can return to Ireland, where maybe I could even work on those organic farms for a few weeks like I've dreamed of.

Perhaps these plans may never happen. Perhaps they will be compromised and changed and transformed and I will end up in India or London or Puerto Rico. But I do know that the prospect of such things - the availability of such adventures to graduating students - makes this quite definitely the most exciting turning point in my life so far.

No comments: